Thursday, September 18, 2008

Some youtube videos

One of the last things I did at the end of last school year was watch かみかぜ Girls. A good friend thought I would like it since we had seen a couple of other ニほんご films together, including しゅらゆきひめ (Lady Snowblood), which was also beautiful. I'm sure anyone would enjoy either film since both are strikingly gorgeous.

The frivolity of かみかぜ Girls is so enticing, yet deceptively airy, entertaining & hilarious, overly mushy at times, but completely たのしい。I also think it embraces a lot of what I imagine Japan to be, but avoids simplifying. いちご slaps me into a corner with her brash ways, but ultimately wins me over, as all the other kooky side characters do like ももこ's father.

Then there's らゆきひめ。めいこ かじ plays her character with cold elegance; she is the master of the vengeful gaze. The location, costumes, and cinematography are all so aesthetically precise that even gushes of red blood seem perfectly executed...

So now that this blog has devolved into a gushing but incomplete description of two films I adore, I shall let the trailers speak for themselves.





No comments: